The top 10 apps for Android mobile devices account for 43 per cent of usage, according to a new survey.
The typical user of a Google Android-powered smartphone spends 56 minutes a day using apps or on the mobile web, research from Nielsen Smartphone Analytics has found.
Two-thirds of that time is spent using apps but Nielsen found that just a few apps are dominating.
The top 10 Android apps make up 43 per cent of time on mobile apps and the top 50 apps account for 61 per cent of time spent. “With 250,000+ Android apps available at the time of this writing, that means the remaining 249,950+ apps have to compete for the remaining 39 percent of the pie,” Don Kellogg, director of telecom research and insights for Nielsen, wrote in a blog post.
Although Nielsen did not specify which Android apps were part of its top ten survey, other Internet sources suggest that the top 10 free apps are (in no particular order) YouTube, Google Maps, Amazon Kindle, Facebook, Pandora, Angry Birds, Dragon Fly, Words with Friends, Advanced Task Killer, and Angry Birds Rio. The top 10 paid apps are (again in no particular order) Cut the Rope, Beautiful Widgets, Fruit Ninja, PowerAMP Full, SwiftKey X, Robo Defense, ROM Manager, Doodle Jump, SoundHound, and ADW Launcher.
Interestingly, 40 per cent of the top 10 free and paid Android apps are games.The rest are a mix of utilities and other media/social networking apps.
Source: The Telegraph